Written Question on Refugees: Employment

Written Questions are submitted by MPs or Lords to receive information from a Department.

See more on: "Refugees: Employment"
Date Title Questioner
23 Feb 2018, 3 p.m. Refugees: Employment Kemi Badenoch


To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to the Answer of 25 January 2018 to Question 124937, if she will create a web page with information for employers wishing to employ refugees; and if she will include (a) information on the right of refugees to work in the UK, (b) the difference between the rights of asylum seekers and those of refugees, (c) a link to the check a biometric residence permit web page, (d) a link to the employer checking service web page, and (e) guidelines on the documentation needed to prove refugee status on that web page.

Answer (Caroline Nokes)

Guidance to employers on carrying out Right to Work checks includes information in respect of the employment of refugees and asylum seekers. This guidance can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/employers-illegal-working-penalties.

Documentation to demonstrate an individual’s right to work in the UK is set out in the employer guidance and Code of Practice for preventing illegal working. Anyone who is granted permission to remain in the UK as a refugee has unrestricted access to the labour market and can demonstrate their status and work entitlement through their Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

There is currently no plan to create a new webpage dedicated to employers of refugees, however, Gov.uk content is kept under continuous review.

You may also be interested in: