Jimmy Lai: Prison Sentence Debate

Full Debate: Read Full Debate

Lord Alton of Liverpool

Main Page: Lord Alton of Liverpool (Crossbench - Life peer)

Jimmy Lai: Prison Sentence

Lord Alton of Liverpool Excerpts
Monday 9th February 2026

(1 week, 5 days ago)

Lords Chamber
Read Full debate Read Hansard Text Watch Debate
Baroness Chapman of Darlington Portrait Baroness Chapman of Darlington (Lab)
- View Speech - Hansard - - - Excerpts

I explained just now about the BNO passport holders—if the noble Lord knew anything about this at all, he would understand that that will be absolutely opposed by China—so we have already done that. We will continue to make the case, and we now have a better ability to do that than we had previously. I reiterate that the issue around the embassy was completely unconnected from this issue, and I remind him that formal diplomatic consent for the embassy was given in 2018 by the former Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson.

Lord Alton of Liverpool Portrait Lord Alton of Liverpool (CB)
- View Speech - Hansard - -

My Lords, Sebastien Lai, Jimmy Lai’s son, whom many in the House know, said this morning that he had not spoken to his father for five years and that he regarded this sentence—20 years, as the noble Baroness, Lady Hayter, has said—on a 78 year-old British citizen as a death sentence. As we think about Jimmy Lai and the other pro-democracy advocates who are also incarcerated in CCP prisons inside Hong Kong, our thoughts and prayers will be with them and with his family. His only crime is journalism; his only crime is a belief in democracy; his only crime is free speech. Can the Minister tell us how we intend to co-ordinate international pressure among like-minded democracies to ensure that this travesty, which has been committed in the name of justice, is exposed for what it is and put right?

Baroness Chapman of Darlington Portrait Baroness Chapman of Darlington (Lab)
- View Speech - Hansard - - - Excerpts

It is outrageous that Jimmy Lai has not had contact from his family—that is inhumane. We continue to argue that he should have that contact and consular assistance. The Foreign Secretary has spoken to Secretary Rubio about this, and noble Lords will know that President Trump intends to visit China later this year, so we will continue to raise this with all our allies and partners.