Housing Ombudsman Service: Landlords

(asked on 19th February 2024) - View Source

Question to the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities:

To ask His Majesty's Government whether financial support has been provided to the Housing Ombudsman in relation to the Landlord Ombudsman Service and, if so, the amount and the terms under which it has been provided.

Answered by
Baroness Scott of Bybrook Portrait
Baroness Scott of Bybrook
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities)
This question was answered on 4th March 2024

I refer the Noble Lord to my oral response on 18 January 2024 (Official Report, HoL, Volume 835, Column 471).

The Renters (Reform) Bill allows the Government to select a scheme through an open competition, or appoint a provider to deliver a designated scheme. As the Minister of State for Levelling Up announced at Commons Committee stage of the Bill, the Government’s preference at this time is to deliver the PRS Ombudsman through the Housing Ombudsman Service (“HOS”), who provide social housing redress.

Following this announcement, we are working with HOS to explore what a streamlined redress service could look like. This work is in its early stages and we will engage with the sector during the process.

HOS has not been appointed as PRS Landlord Ombudsman administrator to run a designated scheme. A final decision on the provider will be made in due course.

Reticulating Splines