English Language: Education

(asked on 19th July 2022) - View Source

Question to the Department for Education:

To ask Her Majesty's Government what steps they are taking to ensure equal access to English for Speakers of Other Languages support.

Answered by
Baroness Barran Portrait
Baroness Barran
Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Education)
This question was answered on 1st August 2022

The department recognises that language skills are crucial to help people integrate into life in England, as well as to break down barriers to work and career progression.

We fund adults through the Adult Education Budget (AEB) for courses and qualifications, so that they can be confident they have the English language skills they need.

Currently, approximately 60% of the AEB is devolved to 9 Mayoral Combined Authorities and delegated to the Mayor of London acting through the Greater London Authority. These authorities are responsible for the provision of adult education and allocation of the AEB in their local areas. The Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) is responsible for the remaining AEB in non-devolved areas, where colleges and training providers have the freedom and flexibility to determine how they use their AEB to meet the needs of their communities.

Learner eligibility for public funding for education and training for adults, including English for Speakers of other Languages, is set out in the ESFA AEB Funding Rules for the 2021/22 funding year, which is available at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/adult-education-budget-aeb-funding-rules-2021-to-2022.

Reticulating Splines