Written Question on High Rise Flats: Fire Prevention

Written Questions are submitted by MPs or Lords to receive information from a Department.

See more on: "High Rise Flats: Fire Prevention"
Date Title Questioner
17 Sep 2018, 1:11 p.m. Lord Kennedy of Southwark (Labour - Life peer) Lord Kennedy of Southwark (Labour - Life peer)

Question to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

To ask Her Majesty's Government what changes, if any, they have made to the advice that they give to local authorities and other social housing providers following the fire at Grenfell Tower.

Answer (Lord Bourne of Aberystwyth)

The Government has worked with the Industry Response Group and Expert Panel to publish an information note to assist building owners who are undertaking remediation work. The information note can be found at:


If a local authority building owner considers any of their buildings to be unsafe, they will need to determine what measures are essential to make each building fire safe, taking into account expert advice, and any directions or advice from the local fire and rescue service.

The Government will fully fund the removal and replacement of unsafe aluminium composite material cladding on residential social housing buildings over 18m owned by councils and housing associations, with costs estimated at £400m.

You may also be interested in: