Written Question on Trimethylaminuria: Research

Written Questions are submitted by MPs or Lords to receive information from a Department.

See more on: "Trimethylaminuria: Research"
Date Title Questioner
5 Feb 2019, 5:12 p.m. Christopher Chope (Conservative - Christchurch) Christopher Chope (Conservative - Christchurch)

Question to the Department of Health and Social Care:

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps the Government is taking to address the need for research into Trimethylaminuria; and if he will make a statement.

Answered by Caroline Dinenage - Minister of State (Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)

The Government supports research into common and rare diseases through the Department funded National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) in England. The NIHR welcomes funding applications for research into any aspect of human health, including Trimethylaminuria. These applications are subject to peer review and judged in open competition, with awards being made on the basis of the importance of the topic to patients and health and care services, value for money and scientific quality. In all disease areas, the amount of NIHR funding depends on the volume and quality of scientific activity.

The Government also supports research into rare diseases through the Medical Research Council, funded by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.

You may also be interested in: