Musicians: EU Countries

(asked on 28th February 2022) - View Source

Question to the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport:

To ask Her Majesty's Government what plans they have to introduce measures to assist young musicians wishing to tour in the EU; and whether any such plans will be introduced before the end of July.

Answered by
Lord Parkinson of Whitley Bay Portrait
Lord Parkinson of Whitley Bay
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Department for Culture, Media and Sport)
This question was answered on 14th March 2022

The Government recognises that there are new requirements for creative workers to work and tour in the EU, including for young musicians. The Government has sought to clarify these new arrangements, which are in many cases more workable than has at times been reported. For example, the vast majority of EU Member States have confirmed that they offer visa and work permit-free routes for touring professionals, including most recently Bulgaria and Croatia. Portable musical instruments, carried or in a vehicle, can be transported cost-free and should not require ATA Carnets. We have also confirmed that splitter vans are not subject to the Trade and Cooperation Agreement requirements on haulage, which is particularly important for emerging artists.

The Government supports our young and emerging artists across the UK through a range of export support programmes, including the Music Export Growth Scheme and the International Showcase Fund, which help musicians to break into international markets. The Government has also established a new Export Support Service from which UK artists can get answers to practical questions about working in Europe.

Reticulating Splines