Railways: Safety

(asked on 31st October 2017) - View Source

Question to the Department for Transport:

To ask Her Majesty's Government what assessment they have made of the ability of UK-registered railway undertakings to obtain European single safety certificates following the UK's exit from the EU.

Answered by
Baroness Sugg Portrait
Baroness Sugg
This question was answered on 14th November 2017

In order to run rail services at present, in accordance with Directive 2004/49/EC UK-based railway undertakings, including train operators, are required to obtain a safety certificate. Safety certificates are issued in the UK by the Office of Rail and Road as the national safety authority.

European single safety certificates are not due to enter into force until after the UK leaves the EU. The ability for UK-based train operators to obtain these certificates will be a matter for negotiations.

The cross-border services that link us with the EU have greatly benefited citizens and businesses in both the UK and the EU. We want to see these services continue without disruption.

Reticulating Splines